Connecting via Wi-Fi to Cameras That Support the Wireless Mobile Utility
Smart devices running the SnapBridge app can connect via Wi-Fi to cameras that support the Wireless Mobile Utility (WMU). A list of the cameras that support this feature can be found here.
- Enable Wi‑Fi on the smart device (see the smart device manual for details),
- Be sure the batteries in the camera and smart device are fully charged to prevent unexpected loss of power, and
- Check that there is space remaining on the camera memory card
Wi‑Fi Mode Not Available
Wi‑Fi mode cannot be enabled while pictures are being downloaded from the camera. After downloading pictures or interrupting transfer, wait at least three minutes before switching to Wi‑Fi mode.
Smart device: Launch the SnapBridge app. If this is the first time you have launched the app, tap Connect to camera and proceed to Step 2.
No “Connect to Camera” Button?
If you tapped Skip or have previously launched the SnapBridge app, tap in the tab, select Wi‑Fi mode, and proceed to Step 3.
No “Wi‑Fi mode” Option?
Check that the SnapBridge app is up to date. If you are using the latest version and the Wi‑Fi mode option is still missing, exit the app, confirm that it is not running in the background (the procedure varies with the smart device; see the documentation provided with your device for details), check that the device is connected to the Internet, and then re-launch the app.
Smart device: When prompted to select the camera type, tap the desired model.
Supported Camera Not Displayed?
Check that the SnapBridge app is up to date. If you are using the latest version and no option for your camera is displayed, exit the app, confirm that it is not running in the background (the procedure varies with the smart device; see the documentation provided with your device for details), check that the device is connected to the Internet, and then re-launch the app.
Smart device: The smart device will instruct you to ready the camera. Turn the camera on. Do not tap Next until you have completed Steps 4.
Camera: In the camera menus, establish a Wi-Fi connection and display the camera SSID.
Note: The method varies with the camera. For more information, see the documentation provided with the camera.
Smart device: After completing Step 4 on the camera, return to the smart device and tap Next.
Smart device: After reading the instructions displayed by the smart device, tap Open the device settings app.
The smart device Wi‑Fi settings dialog will be displayed.
Smart device: Select the camera SSID to connect to the camera via Wi-Fi.
Smart device: Return to the SnapBridge app and wait for the smart device to connect. Wi‑Fi mode options will be displayed once a connection is established.
The Connection Status Icon
Connection status is shown by the following icons in the top right corner of the tab:
- : The SnapBridge app is in Wi-Fi mode without a Wi-Fi connection to the camera.
- : The smart device is connected to the camera via Wi-Fi.
Ending the Wi-Fi Connection
- Wi-Fi connections to cameras that support SnapBridge and the Wireless Mobile Utility (WMU) can be ended from Wi-Fi settings on the smart device. Ending the connection in the app does not terminate the Wi-Fi connection. The procedure varies with the smart device; see the documentation provided with your device for details.
- Leaving the Wi-Fi connection active not only prevents use of such features as automatic upload to NIKON IMAGE SPACE but also increases the drain on the camera battery.
This feature is not available in the iOS version.